Sunday, October 30, 2005

Cello

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight" ~"Lovers in a Dangerous Time," The Barenaked Ladies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps you've not heard this song. It's rife with memories for me, all centered around Christmas in the very early 90's. Those were some good times. I've been listening to this song on my MP3 player and somewhere around when the cello kicks in, my heart wants to burst.

Around this time, I went to a party at my friend Joan's basement apartment. When you entered her place there was a big, fairly empty cement room you had to walk through to get to her living room and kitchen. This cement room, painted a funky purple, provided a perfect dance floor at parties.

My friend Kim and I arrived early to a Christmas party. We cranked the tunes and played with a strobe light in the purple room. We took turns holding it while the other danced. When Joan's boyfriend Matt walked into the room, Kim held the strobe out to him, "Hold this, and check it out!"

Matt held the strobe light at chest level with both hands, and Kim began to do her freaky flashy light dance, only she lost her footing almost right away, and went barreling head first into Matt's crotch. He had nothing to protect his area with, as his hands were on the light. I almost peed myself laughing. It was as if Kim had planned her attack on Matt's unit, and had made sure he was helpless.

"Spirits open to the thrust of grace." Ha ha!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bent over in phantom pain as you told the story. That's not nice to do to a person.

Jelly said...

Athough it looked intentional, it really wasn't!!!