Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Unbelievable

I came home tonight and was going to post something all light and fluffy. Things are well here. I felt good and happy, I had a great night last night and a pretty good day at work. I took my quarterly reports downtown so I wouldn't be distracted by the triumvirate of time suckage in my apartment (TV, computer, bed) and I got them all done so I could fully enjoy the holiday I have tomorrow.

But I came home and learned that Shawn Matthews, of Korea Life Blog and the now deleted China Life Blog, committed suicide last week in Beijing by jumping off his apartment building.

I am shocked, shocked, shocked.

For a the sad story, go here.

I've got nothing else to say right now, except to reiterate. I'm shocked.

Kevin has some thoughts, though.

Condolences. Sadness. Shock.

4 comments:

Carol said...

The best phrase I've seen in weeks: "the triumvirate of time suckage in my apartment (TV, computer, bed)"
I hope you don't mind if I quote you. I can SO identify with that!

Carol said...

And I clicked "publish" too quickly in that last comment.
I meant to add that I'm very sorry about the suicide of the blogger you mentioned. We never know what demons other people are battling.

Anonymous said...

Wow...

I read Shawn's blog haphazardly, often found his perspective on living in Asia fascinating. Never in his words did I see a hint of the darkness which must have led him to this end.

I'm at a loss for words, really, and I have to drive up to a funeral in Virginia in about an hour.

Life goes on, and then it doesn't, and then it does...

Jelly said...

Jef,

I'm sorry for your funeral. I learned of Shawn and I thought like you did. But I also thought about talking to you.

Amen, Jef.