Thursday, September 18, 2008

Happy Barfday to Me

I spoke too soon in that lst update. I was not, as it turned out, on the road to recovery. I was on the road to canceling plans I'd made for my four day holiday one by one as I kept realizing and re-realizing that I was sick and tired. For real. Once again, can I get a "boo hoo?"

I imagine others were out and about doing things over the Korean Thanksgiving holidays and I'd like to ask you all if you happened to find either my initiative or creativity. I've misplaced them somewhere and I've looked all over the inside of my apartment and they're not here. They've wandered off. They may hae boarded a ship or a plane and by now they could be pretty much anywhere. If you see them can you let me know? Better yet - just jump on them and you can mail them back to me. Once I've gotten them back I'll get motivated and create something awesome as your reward. Something glittery.

Speaking of glittery, while I was back in Canada I kept hearing this song on the radio and I wasn't paying too close attention to it and I didn't know who sang it, but the chorus went on about "this is the time of my life." I remarked to my brother that this song must surely be the anthem for graduating high school students all over the land, and I don't remember what he said back. Probably he agreed and then asked me to pull his finger or something.

Turns out that this was the theme song picked for American Idol season 7 winner David Cook. I know this because they just aired the finale in Korea last week and I heard him sing it and recognized the song a few bars in. And then I heard him sing something about "magic rainbows."

For real?!?!

Had I been able to, I would have re-wound just to make sure I'd heard that right. Holy Cheese, Batman! I now know for sure he did say "magic rainbows" because I googled the lyrics. I guess I'm just too old and jaded to be able to handle this song. Or American Idol, for that matter. I like it when they're in the audition portion of it and they either show you the ones with fantastic vocal abilities, or the other ones that make you cough beer through your nose; they're so tone deaf and crazy. I find delusion to be humourous. As soon as they get into the regular part of the show, though, where they're featuring the songs of Barry Mannilow and start the broadcast off with a rousting medley of sparkly sunshine songs of the seventies I throw in my cards and have to leave the table. Otherwise someone's gonna die. I wouldn't even have been watching the finale, but I fell asleep during an episode of "House" and awoke to hear George Michael singing "Praying for Time." Now there's some lyrics for ya.

I wonder if David Cook rolled his eyes when he was first presented with this debut song he was going to start his career with. I don't know.

And now I'm a year older and I wonder will this finally be the year that I find my magic pony at the end of the whimsical trail of fairy dust on this sparkly yellow bricked road of a journey otherwise known as life.

Perhaps not.

But the law of averages means there's an even greater chance that this will be the year I finally throw up in my shoe.

Or something like that.

5 comments:

e said...

Happy birthday!

I think of you often, but am crap at replying to your mails. Sorry.
Will know within the next 2-3 weeks if I will be going to Seoul in Nov. or not - will let you know either way.

Hope you will feel better soon!

Bohemian in Korea said...

Happy B-day

Kevin Kim said...

Happy Happy
Joy Joy

Happy Happy
Joy Joy

Happy Happy
Joy Joy

Happy Happy
Joy Joy

Happy Happy
Joy Joy

Happy Happy
Joy Joy

Happy Happy
Happy Happy
Happy Happy
Happy Happy

(repeat)

Courtesy of Stimpy.


Kevin

Michael Lehet said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!

Elisa said...

Happy Birthday!